Thursday, February 17, 2011

BE SURE

Caption: Spot the difference.

Now I have always had a theory that I have lived by and a lot has happened in my life because this theory existed in my mind. And in the mind of many others too I'm sure.

"IF IT WAS MADE IN KENYA, THEN IT CAN BE FORGED IN KENYA"

Now this morning my theory was seriously questioned and it got me thinking. I have to be sure whether I can trust my theory and live by it whether it bites me in the ass or simply scrap it in general.

So this morning I was going through my normal routine, well oiled, sharp as ever, roaring 'TGIF', just how I would do it. So I check into the bathroom and the soap wash basically no there. (Harsh economic times) No problem, a little micro-economics will do the trick. I went to the canteen right outside my house to buy some soap that would save my situation.

Me: nisaidie sabuni…

Keeper: unataka gani? kuna ushindi na geisha,

Me: lete geisha…

Keeper: 35 bob

Me: o_O (kwani how much is soap usually?)

So I paid and left, but with a lot of questions going through my mind (The price though I don't usually buy soap was suspicious the pack was suspicious the texture was suspicious generally it was a SUSPICIOUS BAR OF SOAP, but I had to shower). I doubted it from the get go and whether I was blowing nothing into something the thought was in my head.

After a lot of questioning and doubting a man had to do what a man had to do. I had to shower.

No sooner had the soap lathered all over my body, than was there a smell of bar soap. HARUFU YA ILE SABUNI YA PANGA…

Hah! SMS shower pap, and I rinsed myself thoroughly lest thing happen to me.

This was the incident that got me thinking. Kariobangi Light (or wherever this things are made) lazima wakuwe wapole.

I must admit this is not the first time I have heard such an ordeal severally I have indulged in liquor and some of the time I wake up with a hangover from hell yet I didn't indulge in quantities from hell. Sometimes after a couple of tots I find myself in AUTO-PILOT mode which is no characteristic of a legit drink.

Word on the street

It looks legit, it has KEBS seal, It's not in a plastic bottle, it gives you a mind boggling hangover – IT IS KL

It looks like geisha, smells like geisha (before it reacts with water), it is the size from geisha , lathers with the smell of bar soap – IT IS KL

Looks like sugar, a bit bigger grains than sugar, has no taste until like the 4th teaspoon – IT IS KL

Looks like sportsman, burns like sportsman, there no way to tell – IT IS CHINA (this one you have to be told, zinaitwa sporti za China)


My point is these things are out there so much so that if you dared step into KL and asked for your ordinary tusker, you will asked, "Light ama EABL?" Peeps are indulging so much so, that they have lost track of the original. This brings me back to my theory, it has been forged in Kenya and we are sometimes so used to it that we forget the original. I have embraced my theory for a mighty long time but it's about time I have a change of heart because I don't want to lose track of the truth.

Let us be sure what way do we want to take? KL all the way and risk losing track of what's phony and what's real or we could go the Nakumatt way (spend a few extra shillings) but still be alive and alert.

We are not all equal financially, but micro economy doesn't have to mean FAKE. If we can't have a full bar of soap, I'd rather buy a quarter bar of legit geisha than a cheap full bar of 'Geisha'. This is actually possible, all the keeper has to do is tell the KL agent to disappear, buy a huge geisha and cut it into 4. Is this so hard? #imjustsaying. EABL did it by introducing KEG & KANE (Legit shit that people can afford).

To KL: Please forge the batteries, the phones, the everythings, but don't deal with consumables, peoples lives are at stake. (Halooo anybody there?)

No comments: